Welcome to the Community Voices for Health Blog! This blog started more than a decade ago as the Signature Moms blog! That blog was originally developed to be a resource for families in the South Shore area of Massachusetts. Today, we are transforming the Signature Moms Blog into the Community Voices for Health Blog. What we found over the last several years is that our readers want more practical information about accessing health and wellness resources within their community. In the Community Voices for Health Blog, you can expect to find information about the following:
- Available healthcare resources within the community
- Local access to affordable health services
- Healthy eating and good nutrition
- The importance of having a primary care physician
- Availability of mental health resources in the community
- Pre-pregnancy and prenatal care
- Educational information around vaccinations
- Homelessness and resources for the homeless
- Food insecurity, nutrition insecurity, and corresponding resources
- The importance of exercise and physical activity
- Addiction and resources for those facing addiction
- The impact of stress on an individual’s health
- Work-life balance
- Health literacy
- Obesity and the associated health risks
The bloggers who you will come to know represent many of the leading non-profit organizations in our region. They all share a commitment to improving the health of the communities they serve:
- Signature Healthcare – Signature Healthcare is a not-for-profit community-based healthcare delivery system providing the full range of high-quality primary care, specialty care, hospital care, and related ancillary services delivered at a low cost. Signature Healthcare is a multi-specialty hospital and physician group with more than 150 physicians practicing in 11 ambulatory locations.
- Old Colony YMCA – The YMCA is the leading nonprofit committed to strengthening individuals and communities across the country. The Y helps people connect to their purpose, potential, and each other. Working locally, they focus on supporting young people, improving health and well–being, and inspiring action in and across communities.
- BAMSI – A non-profit organization dedicated to driving change and creating equal opportunities for individuals with developmental disabilities and mental and behavioral health challenges.
- Old Colony Elder Services (OCES) – OCES provides essential services for elders and individuals with disabilities. Their services promote healthy and safe living.
- Brockton Visiting Nurse and Hospice Association (BVNA) – BVNA is a progressive organization that is helping to redefine the role of healthcare at home in our region.
- United Way of Greater Plymouth County – Their focus is on education, health, and financial stability—the building blocks for a good quality of life.
- Health Imperatives – Their mission is to improve the health and well-being of low-income or vulnerable families and individuals in Southeastern Massachusetts.
- Cape Verdean Women United – “We believe that women are the pillars of our community and should take a more active role. We want to unite, educate and empower our women.”
We understand that area residents value exchanging and sharing ideas – particularly online. Our goal is to help facilitate dialogue by hosting a blog that becomes an invaluable resource for local families, including posts by experts and guest bloggers to address health-related topics.
If you’d like to learn about the actual bloggers who will be contributing to this blog, please go to https://communityvoicesforhealth.com/our-bloggers/. There you will find background information on each of our contributors. Over the next few months, our plan is to add additional bloggers from community organizations who are not yet involved.
13 thoughts on “About Community Voices for Health”
I’m not a mommy yet. But this could be a great reference for me later. Congrats on being FP!!! :0)
Hello, I have a quick question for you about your site. If you could please get back to me at your earliest convenience I would greatly appreciate it. Have a great day!
Marketing Support Coordinator
Hello mums! My name is Margherita and I´m a journalist for El Mercurio, a nationwide newspaper from Chile. Is there any mail in which I can write to you? (A mail that belongs to the blog in general or to any of the bloggers in particular).
Thank you very much.
It’s wonderful to hear from you – especially all the way from Chile! I work directly with all of our bloggers that write for the Signature Moms blog. Please feel free to contact me at email@example.com. I look forward to hearing from you!
What a great site! I’ve started a Mom blog to share my experiences as a first time mom, and I’ve added a blog from my son’s perspective (he’s only 14 months)! We also hope to educate parents on Wolff Parkinson White, a heart condition that my son Gavin was diagnosed with at 15 days old. Would love your feedback at http://www.ItsLearningTime.com. Thanks! ~Kaitlyn
Congratulations! You have been nominated for the Beautiful Blogger Award! http://wp.me/p22xxF-cp
I was very disappointed that I can not find any information on parenting classes in the Brockton area for new moms on this blog. Also, the main website is limited in support for new moms, with the Healthy Beginnings page primarily geared towards translation services, insurance and financial help. I searched online for a Brockton MOMS group, but can not find one. As a parent of a two month old in Brockton, I have found no place in this city where either moms or dads can attend parenting classes. All I have been able to find are divorce related court-ordered parenting classes. Is there any information on SignatureMoms.com for new moms or dads?
Signature Healthcare does offer parenting classes and workshops. One class helps prepare expecting parents who already have children while another class is a playgroup for parents and children up to 9 monthse have one. For more information, here is a link on our next upcoming class: http://www.signature-healthcare.org/AboutUs/CalendarofEvents/1564.aspx. Also, please feel free to search on the Signature Moms blog by topic or category if there is specific information you’re looking for.
There is also the Community Connections in Brockton, Massachusetts. They have a monthly newsletter listing their upcoming classes and most of them are free. For more information, you can visit http://www.ccbrockton.org or at 508-857-0272.
Signature Moms Blog
Fab blog… wish there was something like this where I live. I’m a new mommy blogger – been a step mommy for 2 years but it’s time to add one or two of my own to the mix! I’m blogging about my journey and some of your new mommies or ttc moms-to-be might be interested in connecting internationally??! find me at beautifullybabyful.wordpress.com
Love your work xxx
A friend of mine refer me to this website to connect with mommies. I can’t offer child advice, but I can offer mommies a time to pamper themselves to reboost themselves. I can’t find an email to send out to the bloggers and to your guests. I would love to extend an invitation to all mommys of the South Shore to a fantastic event this Sunday (6/23/13) in Weymouth from 3-7pm. Please check out: https://speedstylingrg.eventbrite.com. This event would be great for mommys to have “me” time and talk to other ladies about fashion, hair, makeup, and consignment advice. Right now, I’m offering 2 free tickets to the first 10 guests.
Hi there! I had a question for you about us possibly collaborating on something and was hoping you could email me back to discuss? Thanks so much!
shayewalsh1 (@) gmail (.) com
Please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with more details.
Hi there Martianne! I really loved what you wrote here. You’re not only educating the moms out there but everyone especially the plumbers. ~_^ I will definitely share your blog how to fix clogged toilet.