By: Kris Berry
Hooray! Summer is finally here! Summer is officially my favorite time of the year. I love the long days, the warm nights, and all of the outdoor activities my kids and I can enjoy. However, while we’re outside (which is pretty much all day every day) it’s important to be vigilant with skin safety. I’ve compiled a little list of important safety tips to remember. I’m sure most of them seem very obvious, but a good reminder every so often is never a bad thing!
- If possible, apply sunscreen before going outside. Your skin needs a bit of time to absorb the sunscreen so it’s best to apply it before the sun’s rays hit your skin.
- Re-apply Frequently! Some people feel that once they put the sunscreen on they are good to go for the entire day. Make sure you re-apply about every 2 hours, more frequently if you are swimming or sweating.
- Hats and sunglasses are recommended for children to wear to protect sensitive areas on their face and their eyes.
- Taking shade breaks can be important. Bring an umbrella to the beach or plan a picnic in a shady area so you can get out of the sun from time to time.
- Pay attention to your body. Note any moles or raised patches of skin and check them frequently to see if there are any changes. Adults should make a yearly appointment with a dermatologist just to stay on top of any changes to your skin. Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer, but can be highly curable if caught in the early stages.
Enjoy all the wonders summer has to offer, but do it safely!
2 thoughts on “Summer Sun Safety Tips”
Always loved you tips! And yes its very important to keep our self safe from the sun this summer. Any recommendations for a good sunblock?