Welcome to the Community Voices for Health Blog! This blog started more than a decade ago as the Signature Moms blog! That blog was originally developed to be a resource for families in Southeastern Massachusetts. Today, we are transforming the Signature Moms Blog into the Community Voices for Health Blog. What we found over the last several years is that our readers want more practical information about accessing health and wellness resources within their community. In the Community Voices for Health Blog, you can expect to find information about the following:
- Available healthcare resources within the community
- Local access to affordable health services
- Healthy eating and good nutrition
- The importance of having a primary care physician
- Availability of mental health resources in the community
- Pre-pregnancy and prenatal care
- Educational information around vaccinations
- Homelessness and resources for the homeless
- Food insecurity, nutrition insecurity, and corresponding resources
- The importance of exercise and physical activity
- Addiction and resources for those facing addiction
- The impact of stress on an individual’s health
- Work-life balance
- Health literacy
- Obesity and the associated health risks
The bloggers who you will come to know represent many of the leading non-profit organizations in our region. They all share a commitment to improving the health of the communities they serve:
- Signature Healthcare – Signature Healthcare is a not-for-profit community-based healthcare delivery system providing the full range of high-quality primary care, specialty care, hospital care, and related ancillary services delivered at a low cost. Signature Healthcare is a multi-specialty hospital and physician group with more than 150 physicians practicing in 11 ambulatory locations.
- Old Colony YMCA – The YMCA is the leading nonprofit committed to strengthening individuals and communities across the country. The Y helps people connect to their purpose, potential, and each other. Working locally, they focus on supporting young people, improving health and well–being, and inspiring action in and across communities.
- BAMSI – A non-profit organization dedicated to driving change and creating equal opportunities for individuals with developmental disabilities and mental and behavioral health challenges.
- Old Colony Elder Services (OCES) – OCES provides essential services for elders and individuals with disabilities. Their services promote healthy and safe living.
- Brockton Visiting Nurse and Hospice Association (BVNA) – BVNA is a progressive organization that is helping to redefine the role of healthcare at home in our region.
- United Way of Greater Plymouth County – Their focus is on education, health, and financial stability—the building blocks for a good quality of life.
- Health Imperatives – Their mission is to improve the health and well-being of low-income or vulnerable families and individuals in Southeastern Massachusetts.
- Cape Verdean Women United – “We believe that women are the pillars of our community and should take a more active role. We want to unite, educate and empower our women.”
If you’d like to learn about the actual bloggers who will be contributing to this blog, please go to https://communityvoicesforhealth.com/our-bloggers/. There you will find background information on each of our contributors. Over the next few months, our plan is to add additional bloggers from community organizations who are not yet involved.